And Now I’m a ‘Mercenary’

05.10.11

Categorie: David Axe, Reporters |

David Axe.

David Axe.

More from the University of South Carolina student newspaper, following my speeches yesterday:

Axe, and those like him, report only for the adrenaline rush. We’re glad you enjoy your job, Axe. You get to make money doing something you love, even though you have no moral compass guiding you. Many mercenaries enjoy their jobs, too.

Related posts:

1. Danger Room: Gadhafi Son Tried to Flee to Mexican Resort, With Mercenary Help

7 Responses to “And Now I’m a ‘Mercenary’”

1. JWest says:

1. Everybody has a moral compass. They just differ.
    2. Doubt you love your work -think you’re more likely drawn to it.
    3. You get to do it because of a generally excellent performance -often in difficult or hazardous circumstances.
    4. To the point where even geezers who have been around the block a time or two will at least listen to what you have to say.
    5. Sounds like post-pubescent whining
    6. Try to stay alive, brother.
    V/R JWest

2. Matt says:

Wow, so this is what today’s University’s produce? I mean if it wasn’t for guys like you Dave, who would actually step up and report on these wars?

And if anything, a journalist who is passionate about their subject and work is by far more interesting to follow and read than a journalist who is not passionate about their subject.

That passion also comes out in their work, and employers and the readership will recognize that. Not to mention that a journalist risks life and limb to get a story in a war zone, that could bring attention to a crime or heroic action within that war. Without the good work of war zone reporters, who else will bring light upon the darkness of these conflicts?

Either way, whomever wrote that piece for the school paper hasn’t a clue what they are talking about, and every ounce of ignorance and naivety pours out of that thing. Next….

3. [...] unhappiness in the wake of my University of South Carolina speeches. From a blog: I was really looking forward [...]

4. Joe says:

Hey axe, when I was serving in the airborn (pre 9/11) I used to joke that I was a mercenary in the pay of the US government. All enemies foreign AND domestic.

I remember an old line about professionals doing their job for money, hobbyists doing it for pleasure, and mercenaries doing it for both.

Take care pal. If you ever pass through Ghana, make sure you stop by Champs Sports Bar.

5. Brant says:

as an aside, in defense of the USC J-School… most of the student newspaper is run by non-journalism students. The J-School has a few nutjobs, but not that many.

6. Brian says:

Wow, what was the content of your presentation that would make such an impact? Maybe if they’re actually read any of your graphic novels they’d get a clue you’ve got a better sense of right and wrong than they probably do.

Also, grow back the beard, you’ll look less like a deranged andrenaline loving war junky man. ;)

7. Garrett says:

Mr. Axe,
    You have become what you report. I am of the rifle, you of the pen but aren’t we the same? I too have been told I have no morale compass, yet I put my life on the line all around the globe. You are as lowly as I am in a fox hole or behind a HESCO. War monger I think not, “Adrenaline junkie” as others deem us because they don’t understand the rawness, the realness, the beautiful simplicity…I think so sir. Godspeed Axe, Godspeed.